QUESTIONS TO ASK ABOUT COVID PRECAUTIONS
I wanted to put my preschool teacher expertise to use to help you out. So, I came up with a list of questions to ask when touring and choosing a preschool:
- How many class groups are outside on the yard at the same time? And, what is the cleaning procedure in between these groups?
- Do the teachers and staff get PCR Covid testing?
- What is the protocol when a teacher calls out? Do you have a substitute? What is your policy regarding them? Do they get tested?
- If a staff member, child or parent has been in close contact with someone who tested positive for Covid what is the procedure?
- Do you deep clean the classrooms every day? If so, what product do you use?
- What kind of air filters do you use?
- If the school was open this past year did anyone of the kids or staff have Covid?
- What will be the procedure if they have to close the classroom or school? Will they go to a zoom scenario?
- What is your illness policy? How long does a child have to be fever free before they can return to school? What if they come to school with a cough? Do they need a doctor’s note to return to class?
- Does every child have their own box of supplies like scissors, crayons, play dough?
- How do you handle drop off and pick up? Are temperatures taken?
- Do you have touchless system for sign in/out?
- Are parents allowed in the classroom? What if there is a separation issue?
- Are the children able to play together from the same classroom?
- Do you have a “wash me” bin in every classroom for used toys?
- Are masks required all day?
- What is the bathroom procedure? Do you have touchless faucets? Do they wipe down the toilets after every child? What if they are still in diapers?
- What is the student/teacher ratio?
- If they have like a music or yoga specialist that comes how do they handle that?
- Are classroom doors and windows open? If so, how do you make sure a child doesn’t go out the door? Is a child gate used?
By now, most schools have their procedures in place. So, ask yourself this: Are you comfortable with them and does the school feel like the right fit? Wishing you all a fabulous school experience for the 2021-2022 school year!!